Comics as Contemporary Literature

For comics as contemporary literature, I read Asterios Polyp and the two versions of Sandman.

I was very into Asterios Pop's narrative style. I love its narration by using simple text and geometric designs. The color combination is also very harmonious. My favorite page is when Asterios is introduced, he was alone while the panel is alone on the page too. It really help me to focus on the panel and the loneliness. I think this is the kind of appeal that words cannot produce.

I also read the Sandman from DC comics and the Sandman The Dream Hunters illustrated. I chose to read these two because I wanted to make a comparison between the "Eastern" and "Western" approach of the Sandman from the same author.

The DC Sandman is very interesting in the way that different sides of humanity are being portrayed into personified concepts of characters. I like the way of the narrative and the dialogues used in the comic. On the other side, Sandman the Dream Hunters have a storybook-like narrative. It reminds me of reading the traditional fables when I was a child. The two works of Sandman gave me completely different moods that contrast with each other.

I continued on with Sandman The Dream Hunters. I love the illustrations by Yoshitaka Amano, I found myself staring at them for a long time before I move on to the next page of text. I could see similarities between his illustrations and traditional Japanese paintings, but the illustrations also have a sense of surrealism. I have read two books that were illustrated by Yoshitaka Amano, but when I read The Dream Hunters, I was still shocked by how stunning the illustrations are. It is hard to describe, but it feels like a perfect mix between tradition and modern. The flow of the eastern linework is integrated with the modern shape designs, and bold color choices.

I also love the story with its portrayal of love and sacrifice. The writing by Neil Gaiman is simply beautiful, it is as stunning as the illustrations. The ending made me sad, but hopeful at the same time. In the end, it is said that the monk, the fox, and the Onmyoji both learned their lessons. I think perhaps what the monk learned is to treasure love and to pursue it. With the story having a concept related to the reincarnation and the afterlife of Buddhism, I really hope the monk and the fox will continue to live forever in the dreamland or meet again in their afterlife. The love between them is not as direct or passionate, it is more like silent devotion. I think it is a truly beautiful love story.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Response on Eisner and Thompson

Response on Persepolis

Response on The Arrival