Response on Pretty Deadly

I chose to read Pretty Deadly because the cover page on chapter one caught my eye at first glance. At first, I was a bit confused about the conversation between the butterfly and the bunny since the bunny was being shot in the head as the conversation goes on. However, after reading the first chapter and continuing one to the second chapter, I understood that they are the narrators of the story. I feel like it is an interesting way of narration. It fits with the fable-like, rhyming narrative that is also used in the comic. 

However, I didn't fully understand the plot after reading the first two chapters, so I continue to read until chapter four. I still have a lot of questions about the rules of the world in the story and the appearance of some characters. Despite the confusion, I still enjoyed reading it. The storyline is very interesting with a lot of mysteries that keep me reading. What I enjoyed the most is the art style. The color palettes used in the illustrations are very stunning. I like the character designs too, especially the lady in the skull mask, and the protagonist Sissy’s design is very visually interesting.

Knowing that it came from a female author, I paid special attention to the differences and the portrayal of sexuality. One thing I noticed is that the body-types of the female characters are more dynamic. During the nudity scenes, I saw body fat drawn on the female character’s belly and thighs. It is less of an hourglass shape and it is closer to reality, not afraid to portray all the flaws of the body.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Response on Eisner and Thompson

Response on Persepolis

Response on The Arrival