Response on Trash Mountain

I read Trash Mountain as this week’s webcomic. The plot is very surreal and a bit confusing to understand. I wonder what is the meaning behind the frequently used symbol in the story - the equilateral triangle. I personally think the theme is about going back to nature. On the first page, the main character gets nude and meditate n nature about modern living. In the end, he breaks the tube on the male statue of the dystopian city with his own happen. I feel like this is a message telling people to break the barrier of modern civilization and back to nature.

Besides the confusion with the plot. I actually enjoyed reading it. It is the first comic that I’ve seen that uses animated Gif within the panels. I really enjoyed the part where the protagonist falls from the sky into the underground that travels between pages of the comic in animation. I feel like it is a revolutionary way of storytelling. I could see gif comics being an entirely new artistic genre of the future comic. It is like watching a movie within the comic panels. I feel like it could be adapted to action based comics, for example, the superhero genre. It could enhance the action in the fights and the dynamic of the drawings.

Trash mountain also feels very modern, reminding me of the internet memes. The first few panels of smashing the phone alarm with a hammer are hilarious and relatable, which resembles the style of the memes. Also incorporation of photographs and low poly 3d models also gives me the sense of the memes in this digital age.

I feel like the characteristics of a traditional comic are the sequential images within panels and pages. However, in Trash Mountain, the sequential images became Gifs while the pages became something more sequential too. There is less sense of flipping a page in Trash Mountain. The webpage of the comic scrolls for a long time until we reach the end of the section of the plot, which acts more like a chapter. It reminds me of the smartphone comics that emerged in recent years in east Asia. Instead of webcomics, smartphone comics became the modern format of Comics in China. The smartphone comic are basically comics that are drawn to fit the dimensions of the smartphone screen. It contains a single long image for each chapter, with all its panels arranged vertically. It's kind of like a very long comic strip vertically and with more dynamic panels. All we have to do is simply open the app for the comic on our phone and scroll down to read the chapter. There is no need to flip the page or zoom in on the small smartphone screen in order to read a comic. I think this revolutionary format of the comic. It really enhances the accessbility of the comic to a wider range of audiences as we could read it anywhere, anytime.

I also listened to its soundtrack while reading the comic. I feel like this could be incorporated into future comics too. It could be fun to see what will happen if each page has its own background music. And maybe recorded dialogue that is dedicated to each panel that plays if you hover your mouse on them. In the end, I could really see the great number of possibilities in future comics through Trash Mountain.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Response on Eisner and Thompson

Response on Persepolis

Response on The Arrival